A campaign to promote the consumption of mushrooms is launched with the co-financing of the European Union

By: STA Date: 2023. 08. 24. 09:15

With the slogan “European mushroom, the hidden gem”, the European Mushroom Growers Promo Group (GEPC Promo) is launching a campaign to promote mushroom consumption with the co-financing of the European Union in Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland and Spain, the several national GEPC Promo representing a professional organization on Thursday with MTI.

(Photo: Pixabay)

According to the information, the EUR 5 million campaign is expected to result in an increase in turnover of EUR 28 million over three years. The aim of the campaign is to draw consumers’ attention to the many advantages of the European mushroom and its important role in a healthy and balanced diet. “Affordable, available all year round, varied, rich, easy to prepare, extremely sustainable, nothing is missing, the European mushroom is a real treasure,” they say in the statement.

The annual turnover of the European mushroom production sector is more than 1.5 billion euros

The largest European mushroom producers are Poland and the Netherlands, they account for more than 50 percent of the total European production, closely followed by Spain. The most widely cultivated variety is the chanterelle mushroom. In 2020, production reached 1,063,700 tons, of which 64 percent went to the fresh market and 36 percent to processing.

Mushroom cultivation requires significant investments, but these numbers have remained relatively stable in recent years

The sector, which represents around 2,900 European producers, is also very important from the point of view of employment, providing more than 40,000 direct jobs, especially in rural areas – they write in the announcement. It was noted that 70 percent of fresh mushroom sales take place through retail chains, mainly in hypermarkets and supermarkets, and the remaining 30 percent are used in the catering industry. In recent years, the purchase price paid by both retailers and restaurants has remained very stable, around 3 euros per kilogram.


Related news