Magazine: Shaping the market, shaping consumer taste

By: Tisza Andrea Date: 2019. 10. 11. 07:53

Norbert Vass, wine category specialist of Metro told our magazine that Metro stores are waiting for shoppers with 900 different wines and sparkling wines, mainly sourced from Hungarian winemakers.

Norbert Vass
wine category specialist, Metro

The expert’s view is that wine consumption will go in the direction of quality in the next few years. Fresh, fruity and light white wines are conquering shoppers’ hearts. Rosé sales will soon reach their peak and new, exciting products will replace the less popular rosé wines. As for red wines, demand will decrease for cheaper varieties. From wine regions Lake Balaton and Szekszárd have made progress. Summer brings a rise in Prosecco consumption.

Metro sells more than 60 wines in ‘bag-in-box’ format. Buying wine in Metro stores is easy, thanks to the vinoteque arrangement, and there is also an in-store sommelier helping customers. In front of the so-called sommelier counter, a professional wine non-food product selection is available to shoppers, items that can make serving and consumption more comfortable and enjoyable. Metro gives a 10-percent discount if minimum 6 bottles are purchased. This is perfect for customers without large storage capacity or those who would like to try different wines.

Nóra Hevesi
head of communications
Tesco-Global Áruházak

Nóra Hevesi, head of communications with Tesco-Global Áruházak Zrt. revealed that their wine selection consists of 600 wines and sparkling wines. Every major Hungarian wine region is represented in it and 90 percent of the products on the shelves are Hungarian; one third of the remaining 10 percent are Tesco Finest wines. Ms Hevesi reckons that customers appreciate quality wines more than before, but the market of lower-medium price wines (HUF 600-1,000) is strengthening, too.

Haider Bernhard
managing director
Aldi Magyarország

Aldi’s experience is that there is a shift toward premium products – informed Bernhard Haider, managing director of Aldi Magyarország. Shoppers are more knowledgeable about wines than before, they know more winemakers and have a clear picture about what they would like. Aldi wants to offer quality wines to customers irrespective of price category or wine type. This effort is very well reflected by the fact that several private label Aldi wines were successful at the 2018 Hungarian Wine Competition, e.g. the HUF 579 Chardonnay and Premium Irsai Olivér both won gold medals.

Consumers expect high-quality products from Aldi and this is true for the wines too. Aldi isn’t a wine shop, but its message is simple: wines with an excellent price-value ratio can be found on the shelves of stores. The discount supermarket chain has a very good relationship with winemakers, and there are more and more wines which are exclusive to Aldi stores.

Márk Maczelka
head of communications
Spar Magyarország

Márk Maczelka, SPAR’s head of communications: ‘When compiling our wine selection, we try to include all the varieties from every wine region possible. Rosé wines, Irsai Olivér and Sauvignon Blanc are the most popular in the Hungarian market. We have established a direct relationship with some of the wineries, planning price promotions, prize games and product launches together.

Gábor Kiss
convenience retail
manager, OMV

Gábor Kiss, OMV’s convenience retail manager talked to our magazine about how their cooperation with Spar and the improving price perception made wines available in the petrol station shops too. Currently there are 106 different wines available in OMV shops. The company makes great efforts to introduce the products of wineries that can give new experiences to customers. They created the wine portfolio with the help of 3-time Hungarian champion sommelier Mátyás Szik. In the latest product selection consumers can also find a couple of imported product specialties, from winemakers in Argentina, New Zealand and Portugal.

Two of the keys to successful sales are product placement and pricing. Wines are sold at basically the same price as in other retail outlets. The wine selection corresponds to the national trends, but OMV partners can stock a few local products too. At the moment OMV concentrates on the ‘Wine of the Month’ project: with this the goal is to make wine drinkers leave their comfort zone and try new Hungarian and international wines.

Related news