The Dutch onion market is booming

By: STA Date: 2022. 09. 14. 09:55

In addition to high sales prices, there is a strong demand for high-quality onions.

Good quality is worth the price (Photo: Pixabay)

According to Rinus Wisse, an expert from Wiscomex, the current selling prices of between 0.34 and 0.36 euros/kg (for medium and large onions) give the farmers the right to be optimistic, however, he calls for restraint, as it is easy to create an oversupply in this case due to the sudden rush to the market. with a large amount of goods. In his opinion, it would be beneficial if the current price level were considered a kind of price ceiling by the producers, it would be perfect for everyone if the market remained stable at this level for a longer period of time. Further price increases would already have harmful effects, higher prices would already depress consumption, especially since inflation in the Netherlands does not only affect onions, reports FruitVeb.

For the time being, the situation on foreign markets is also ideal, from the point of view of Dutch exporters, the most important African buyers, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Guinea in addition to the United Kingdom, handle 60% of the turnover, and the remaining 40% is very widely distributed. The quality of Dutch onions is good, with only occasional reports of fusarium infections.


Related news